Having the very best SEO tool is the equivalent of sharpening your axe – you might eventually get a result without it, but how quickly and efficiently will ultimately depend on your tools. In the super-competitive world of SEO, if you’re not fast you’re last!
Do you have experience with Semrush? If so, you will know that it is quite possibly the most comprehensive digital marketing tool available. In this Semrush 2020 Improvements Roundup, you will see the updates at a glance and what they mean for your business.
A brief Semrush history
Semrush (pronounced Semrush – not S-E-M.rush by the way) started in 2008 with only 2 tools! Twelve years on, continuous additions and improvements have put them at the top of their game with an astonishing 7 million monthly users worldwide.
Given the colossal success in only 12 years, it was definitely time for a refresh on the branding front. Semrush has just completed a total rebrand to convey the ‘energy that powers your marketing’! Check out the video that showcases the rebrand below (turn up the volume).
This site includes some affiliate links – if you buy through my link I may get paid a commission but the price remains the same for you. Thank you for your support.
Semrush Improvements & New Tools 2020
Two more things!
Free Trial – don’t take my word for it. Sign up today
Keywords are where it all starts when creating content that ranks. The Keyword Magic Tool now contains more than 20 billion keywords and 20 million ideas for a single keyword.
Global volume feature – When you search for a keyword, you will now receive an estimate for the global volume. Don’t worry if that’s too broad for you as there is also a list of what countries are popular for your chosen keyword.
Bulk analysis – This feature allows you to analyze up to 100 keywords at the same time. Can you imagine the time-saving if you are working on several projects?
SERP analysis – Shows the 100 top SERP results in Google complete with referring domains, backlinks, keywords, search traffic etc. for each URL.
SERP features and questions – This is a brand new feature to give you more ideas for optimization and inspiration.
Stuck with organic research? Sign-up for a free Semrush Course by clicking the video below.
As the name suggests, this brand new tool offers the crucial opportunity to find which keywords you are missing. Using the ‘Top Opportunities’ widget you will find not only what keywords are missing but also which are weak, strong, or unique.
As with the other keyword tools, you can use the Keyword Manager to track exactly what you are doing and export it to an XLSX or CSV file.
Find your competitor’s broken links and use them to increase your backlink profile by contacting the owner of the referral site with a suitable replacement. To find out more about this technique and transform your efforts, check out How To Find Broken Backlinks And Replace Competitor Links.
This tool quickly shows your backlink profile and helps you to easily spot toxic links on your site so you can quickly disavow or remove them and limit damage to your status with Google. (This is an existing feature that has been honed to provide an accurate toxicity score.)
This is a super-sophisticated tool that not only tracks your rankings daily for a variety of different keywords but can also provide results (including volume and device type) down to a hyper-local level. It also offers:
- Measurement of Share of Voice (SoV – a measurement of how visible your brand is against its competitors)
- A Cannibalization report to check for competing keywords within your posts that could be harming each other.
One of the most requested features Semrush had from subscribers was to have a Domain Overview from a global standpoint that enabled them to compare their site metrics and trends with their competitors.
This tool provides the opportunity to compare up to 5 sites at once and also offers the opportunity to zone in on sub-domains and sub-folder levels.
The Site Audit offers some easy SEO fixes by prioritizing the site issues that need attention, however, the new Markup’s report uniquely shows how successful or otherwise your mark-up implementation has been.
Local SEO Listing Management Tool
This feature has been given a significant overhaul in recognition of the unique needs of local businesses. The Listing Management tool offers:
- Automatic Distribution to all relevant local directories including voice search optimization
- Local Ranking Heatmap not only tracks overall ranking in Google maps but also tracks up to 5 keywords with rankings shared on a heatmap in the target area
- Review Management allows the business to respond to Google reviews on both Google and Facebook on one platform
- Local Rankings Report – check your ranking any time in Google Local Finder
Competitive Research Tools
The Competitive Research Tools are designed with agencies and larger organizations in mind and cost an extra $200 per month.
Now, I am not someone who gets too excited about traffic analytics tools but the first two here, I believe, are absolute game-changers. Check them out:
- Audience Insights Report – this tool allows you to compare audiences from competitor websites with your audience. You could use this to create audience lookalike profiles for Facebook ads or even collaborate on joint ventures
- Traffic Journey Report – this tool tracks what websites your visitors have just visited and where they go onto next! You can use this data for your remarketing efforts and for greater insight into what your audience is looking for
- Sub-domain level reporting is now enhanced thanks to a traffic algorithm enhancement applicable to a variety of reports
This is a high-level overview of the movers and shakers in your space along with insights into audience attributes in up to 190 markets!
- Benchmarking Report – this is a brand new report that enables the comparison of a domain against 5 competitor sites in terms of volume, traffic source and audience traits
- Growth Quadrant – shows the position of the top players and charts their position in the market over time
- Custom Market – as the name suggests, allows you to analyze competitor domains (up to 20 at one time)
Content Marketing Toolkit
This is an existing resource that had a refresh in 2020. It is the perfect place to order content from professional writers (in English or American English) with a focus on SEO.
Furthermore, you can order copywriting for just about anything else you might need such as newsletters, emails, press releases etc. Perfect for when you need to be working on your business rather than in it.
This is a brand new, stand-alone A.I. tool for content marketers that detects your most impactful content at every stage of the customer journey. It then goes on to suggest improvements to your content strategy.
When you know what is working, you can easily do more of it. The challenge is knowing what is working which is where Impact Hero comes into its own.
Social Media Tools
These will be serious time-savers for those managing multiple accounts.
Social Media Analytics Tool
This is a brand new tool that enables internal monitoring of your Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts (e.g. Followers gained and lost, post reach and engagement rate/mentions etc.). All of this can be actioned on one platform.
Social Media Ads Tool
This is another brand new tool enabling users to create, launch and manage ads for the entire Facebook ‘family’ i.e. Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, and the Audience Network platforms. Again, this would all be done directly from Semrush.
Sellerly (for Amazon)
It’s not exactly commonplace for SEO platforms to branch out into Amazon research tools, but it makes total sense and this is a comprehensive tool for Amazon FBA aficionados (currently only available in the U.S.)
- Split Testing Tool – this tool is free!
- Listing Protection – get instant alerts if your listing is hijacked
- Listing Quality Check – get suggestions to improve your listing visibility and conversions
- Traffic Insights – allows you to compare and analyze traffic sources
Hopefully this will be rolled out to other markets shortly. The cost is $50 per month. Learn more and get 2 months for £50 here.
Semrush pricing plans 2021
Until now, pricing had remained static since 2017. The new pricing reflects the many improvements and new features. The table below shows pricing for those paying monthly – significant savings are available if you can pay annually. The full price comparison can be found here.
You don’t have to take my word about Semrush offering the ‘sharpest axe’ for ensuring you remain competitive in the cut-throat world of SEO. Simply sign up for a 7-day free trial and find out for yourself!
As online ranking gets increasingly competitive, you need the very best tools to even be at the races, much less win! Semrush has its finger on the pulse and is constantly looking for new ways to keep your business ahead of the game.
Do you use Semrush or another cutting-edge keyword research tool? If so, I would love to hear about it in the comments below.